Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Thoughts on Class 4/12/11

Adding to the debate in class, I think Facebook and Twitter both have certain issues. I think Facebook is a genius way to stay connected with old friends and connect with new ones. I also think that those who are consumed in this Facebook world have tunnel vision when it comes to being aware of other political and world events. Some people get their news traditionally from papers and others access it online. There are also those who are only aware of whats happening on their Facebook minifeeds. These are a collection of opinions, based on other people views, that the person viewing them can draw from to form a solid political view. I said that to say it is good to ration Facebook time, though, speaking for myself, can be hard to disconnect from a virtual realm that circulates so much information.
Twitter on the other hand I think is worse, in terms of circulating news information. As I said when we split into groups, I think followers of celebrities on Twitter are drawn to their title, their brand; not necessarily why they're famous but the fact that they are. Also, I think these followers get affiliated with any brands or products that the star they are following is cross promoted with. Trust me, I can't possibly understand why any teen girl would idolize her, let alone buy her book. On the other hand, its the same effect reality television is having on my generation.

2 comments:

  1. Whose book are you referring to? Took me a couple of minutes and I think your talking about Snooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some HWS students who idolize Snooky and those like her.

    ReplyDelete