Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thoughts on Class 2/3/11

Since I didn't get a chance to share what I wrote I thought I would put it up. Basically, I asked what people think led Lanier to some of his beliefs. As we were discussing in class today, many people felt that at one point they disagreed with him on something and then another part they understood. I think this is done purposely by Lanier. The difficult thing for me is determining which views in his book are actually how he personally feels. I think this book is a bunch of jumbled brainstorming ideas that incorporate some of his beliefs, but I can't tell which belongs to him. I think this is done by design in order to stir up discussion, as displayed in our classroom today. He is being purposely biased on some things and taking the unpopular side on other things in order for us as students to question and criticize his work. Yes, he is an expert on the subject matter, which is why it's clever of him to bunch facts and various points that seem biased in order for us to solve his puzzle.
Speaking on the effectiveness of advertising, I think it has a great influence on people's thinking process. I see this most effective with commercials. Whether you like whats being pitched or not, I guarantee, love it or hate it, you will see it enough times as to where your going to purchase it or its going to be embedded in your brain. I have seen plenty of commercials with annoying jingles, but its the amount of times I see it that will make me at least remember it and have me thinking about it, even if that means thinking about how much I hate it, you've still been had. Coming from someone who wants to go in the advertising industry, it is obviously effective. The only thing I fear, especially with online advertising is instant gratification. Ten, twenty years ago, if you saw a commercial for a coat, you had to walk outside, burn gas, walk in a shop, and spend the money to buy the coat. Fast forward to today. If I see an ad for Kobe's new sneakers on the side of Facebook, I can look at them and purchase from the convenience of my couch. Yes, your not burning gas, but it makes people's decision making process a little faster. I would think if I don't have to go out in the cold to spend money and can sit in my heated house and run up my credit card it makes it more difficult to not at least consider purchasing. My point is, advertisement one way or another is effective. Yes, you as an individual still have a choice, but it's so hard to say no when the internet is tailored to your interests and desires.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting points. I was concerned that you tried to get a word in didn't get a chance. I think next time I will intervene a little to make sure that doesn't happen again.

    Sorting out Lanier's polemics from the views he takes seriously sounds like a very good idea. We can probably say for sure that his more detailed suggestions (songles, for example, and that math thing that he likes more than wikipedia) are meant seriously and practically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I wanted to say today I basically said in my blog post today. The only reason I didn't raise my hand again was because my question was answered during the first discussion. A few students questioned what views were Lanier's own. I feel even if I don't get in everything I want to say in class, I always bring it up in my class reflection blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. Although e look at some commercials and think this is stupid and corny, we remember it. There are countless times where ill be watching tv and humming the songs to stupid furniture stores and what not. Although i dont generally watch commercials and be like "i need this now" i do feel commercials do persuade people to eventually go one way over another. During the super bowl i ordered food from Marks pizza, they had about 400 commercials, coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it sometimes seems like the most annoying commercials are the ones that stick in your head. Two examples of this are: the free credit report.com commercials that has the guy with the jingles, and those billboards you see that are along the lines off " Does so and so advertising work? It just did!". I think if we don't give a company power by buying their product, we are still conscious of it, which keeps them relevant.

    ReplyDelete