Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thoughts on Class 2/1/11

I enjoyed our discussion today from the readings because it was intense and informative. I thought it was interesting that though we broke up into groups, group members still criticized and agreed with their own members on certain points. Going off of my groups chapter and argument about validity and credibility of information on the internet, I think it will only get worse. The term "World Wide Web" is being used in it's literal sense. Anyone with internet access can and will at anytime write something opinionated or their idea of an answer on the web. One main place I see this happening is when people ask questions online through Google or Yahoo Answers. You enter a question, and what a person may get is a bunch of answers that may be somewhat right or people criticizing the person asking the question because they have nothing better to do. Even with this said, I still have a hard time pushing myself to be one sided because there is legitimate information on the web, but it is often difficult to muddle through the "free write storm" that is constantly picking up speed. I think ten years from now, something will have to be done in order to reestablish honesty in cyberspace. I compare this situation with the saying "you take two steps forward, and five steps back", for every two informal pieces of information, there are several others that devalue the overall legitimacy of the factual ones, which I think will slowly shy people away from using the internet as a helping tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment