Thursday, March 31, 2011

Network Drones?

After thumbing through the Movements.org site, I began to think what exactly are they trying to do. Identify, Connect, Support. It seems to me that people are being swayed by networks these days, which I think is a clever idea. When you hear the word network, most people think that there are thousands, maybe millions of people connected. Maybe or maybe not in the case of movements.org, but I think people are being swayed by key words without fully looking into what the organization or company is about. Let's think about the keywords on Facebook: Connect, Share, Life, this is a more realistic network because you are connecting with people that you actually know. My question is: if something sounds right, are people more likely to join an organization because they are throwing products at them that are associated with their demographic, or is it because they have read into what they are about and want to get on board?

2 comments:

  1. (I commented on your post no professor, no problem--but it seems to have vanished; I wonder if I exited the site too soon).

    anyway, your point about the word network is a good one. At the end of the nineties, all sorts of different groups started calling themselves networks when before they had been called a group, alliance, coalition, organization, or whatever. Search group; replace network. Instant update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you did, I still see it. Yes, it's kind of crazy because anytime I hear the word network, I automatically assume its a massive interconnected bunch, but as with many who use it, not so much.

    ReplyDelete